Welcome to the City of Bourgoin-Jallieu !
Welcome to the official web site of the City of Bourgoin-Jallieu. This site is meant to be a special link between the people of Bourgoin-Jallieu and their city hall, as well as the ideal starting point for anyone interested in Bourgoin-Jallieu.
1, place Carnot
Tel. +33 (0) 474 934750
Fax: +33 (0)474 937601
Monday: closed all day
Tuesday - Wenesday - Friday : from 9:00 am to 12:00 am - 13:30 pm to 17:30 pm
Thursday : 9:00 am to 12:00 am - Afternoon : closed
Saturday : from 9:30 am to 12:30 am - 14:00 pm to 17:00 pm
The city at the time of the Allobroges, Romans and Burgands – from its origins to the Middle Ages. A 2½ hour walk through history to discover remains from feudal times. Explanations and stories on everything from St. Anthony’s Fire (ergot poisoning) to the Black Death, major religious cults from the 11th to the 17th century, the French Revolution and the city’s economic rise in the 19th century.
►In the footsteps of the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau
This guided tour takes you to the Auberge de la Fontaine d’Or, to the home of the Anglancier de Saint-Germain family and then to Rosière to visit the grave of Luc-Antoine de Champagneux, to Maubec on the heels of the Marquise de Césarges and to Montquin farm. Length of the visit: 2½ hours – Car required
Upon reservation at Tourist Office
Historical monuments : a heritage to be discovered
Built in the 13th century, the Commanderie des Antonins became a chapterhouse for the monastic order in the mid-14th century. Under Charles VII, sessions of the baillior administrative court were held for the Viennois and Terre de la Tour regions until responsibility was transferred to the bailli in Vienne in 1457. A chapel was added in 1503. The Commanderie is the oldest building in Bourgoin-Jallieu. It was used as a girls' school and then as a hospital before being purchased in 1929 by Senator-Mayor Robert Belmont, who turned the old chapel into a museum with the help and support of painter Victor Charreton. The museum was completely renovated in 2000 and is now dedicated to the history of textile embellishment.
Three churches were built on this site. The one now standing, constructed between 1866 and 1873 and modelled after the church in nearby Voiron (13th century Gothic style), is attributed to architect Alfred Berruyer (1819-1901). The twelve 19th century sculptures decorating the choir stalls, by an artist from Bruges, are considered one of the city's most important historical treasures. Also of note are the side chapels, baptistery, pulpit and stained glass windows.
Built in 1879 by Joseph Merklin’s ‘Manufacture des Grandes Orgues d’Eglise’, the organ in Saint-Jean-Baptiste church was completely restored between 2002 and 2004. The organ is classified as an historical monument.
►Home of the Anglancier de Saint-Germain family
Place du 23 août 1944
In the 16th century, Bourgoin began to grow and magnificent houses were built around the perimeter of Pourcherie square, including one belonging to the Anglancier de Saint Germain family. Its entrance gate on République Street is one of the few remains spared by the ‘Grande Peur' uprising of July 1789. History books remember Claude Anglancier de Saint-Germain as a friend of philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778), who lived in Bourgoin and Maubec for nearly two years.
Rue du Tribunal
In 1643, the ‘Pénitents Blancs’, a group of laymen dedicated to charity and altruism at a time when the Black Death was ravishing the continent, founded a brotherhood in Bourgoin. They built a chapel in the Doric style in 1658 and turned it over to the city in 1790. The building was first put to use as a courthouse in 1791. In 1854, the main building was rebuilt on the same site and in the same style as the original chapel.
►Les Halles - Marketplace
The ‘Halles’ have been in the same site since the Middle Ages, when they were the centre of the city’s social and financial life. In the 16th century the building was consolidated with oak pillars, and in 1847 was enlarged and reconstructed in stone. In 1902, Bourgoin’s municipal government installed an upper floor that was used for various purposes until 1994, when the entire building was renovated. Today the ancient marketplace is known as " Espace Grenette " and is used for prestigious exhibitions, conferences, seminars, trade fairs, etc.
Place du Château
The Delphinal council bought this massive building in 1379, during the Hundred Years' War. The castle, set against the town's boundary walls at the time, is now lost in the mass of the city's less ancient buildings. The Dauphin of France, soon to be crowned King Louis XI, stayed at the castle several times between 1446 and 1452, while learning how to rule the Dauphiné region. He also convened the Etats Généraux du Dauphiné in the Bourgoin castle. The castle's three-story hexagonal tower holds a wide spiral staircase with light from mullioned windows. A corbelled turret at the top of the tower was shortened by a few meters when it was restored.
►Bourgoin-Jallieu’s City Hall
Address : 1 Rue de l'Hôtel-de-ville
The present city hall was built in 1870 by Joséphine Seignoret and her husband Louis Antonin Lupin. Visitors to the city hall can still see the couple's initials entwined in the wrought ironwork on the two large entrance doors facing the courtyard and the gardens, as well as on the fireplace in the hall where weddings are celebrated. Woodwork in the home's former hall and dining room (now used for weddings) was made from wood found on the banks of Lake Paladru. The couple's bankrupt son later sold the ‘castle' to Mr. Patricot, a solicitor by profession, who passed it on to a businessman named Mr. Arribert. In 1927, the building was acquired by the town of Jallieu and municipal government offices were transferred there. When the town of Jallieu merged with neighbouring Bourgoin in 1967, the ‘castle' became the city hall of Bourgoin-Jallieu.
Address : Rue de la Libération
The present church was built in 1859 on the site of the original 12th century church. On the lintel of a side door visitors can read an inscription dating back to the revolution: «The French people believe in the existence of the supreme being and the immortality of the soul», while the portico has a Gallo-Roman funeral inscription (on the floor, to the right of the door when entering) that probably dates back to the time of Adrien (117-138) and is dedicated to Pompeia Junicilla by her father. From the original church, only the small columns in the two side chapels remain.
This flat bread was created at the end of the 19th century by a Bourgoin baker named Pitrougnard who, it is said, kneaded his dough with his feet. The Chaudelet is a pancake-shaped bread made of savoury ‘short pastry' and flavoured with aniseed. Frédéric Dard, who liked the specialty, always stocked up on chaudelets whenever he was in Bourgoin-Jallieu.
►Brioche de Bourgoin
On the 18 october 1447, Louis II, Crown Prince of France, entered Bourgoin by the Porte Neuve mounted on a superb black horse. The future King Louis XI came to Bourgoin several times, and it was in his honour that the town's bakers created a cake in the form of a crown. The Bourgoin brioche is made of flour, milk, honey, eggs and leaven and is decorated with pralines and redand white sugar sprinkles.
This liqueur, a jewel of the Dauphiné region, is made from both sweet and bitter oranges according to a recipe dating back to 1855. It won its current acclaim, however, in 1935, when Maurice Chavin decided to add cognac to the original recipe to accentuate its finesse.
Open Spaces : A city of natural beauty
There may be nothing spectacular in Bourgoin-Jallieu's natural environment, but what is striking is the omnipresence of nature in this city built on what was once marsh and riparian forest lands. Twenty-five kilometres of well-marked trails have been developed on the outskirts of the city for the use of nature-lovers, hikers and joggers, and over 25 hectares of manicured parks overflowing with flowers grace the city itself. In addition to the trails described below, interested hikers can also discover the various ponds used for educational purposes (Montbernier, Charbonnières), the Sétives marsh site and the Villieu wood.
►Champ-Fleuri - The Marshes
The city of Bourgoin-Jallieu nurtures creative endeavours and artistic education and also provides outlets and opportunities for all its citizens to get a taste of popular culture. Its infrastructures include the Jean-Vilar theatre, a multi-media library and a museum dedicated to fabric embellishment, the fine arts and the cultural heritage of the North Isère region. The city is also proud of its Abattoirs Scène de Musiques Actuelles structure and its national school for music, dance and the dramatic arts.
Follow the links !
Where to eat
With more than 70 restaurants in Bourgoin-Jallieu, you'll never be short of new restaurants to try, whether you're planning a luxurious dinner or a cheap bite to eat...
Use this link to find your perfect restaurant
Where to stay
Architecture typical of the Dauphiné region . Romanesque frescoes representing earthly and celestial paradises
Final resting place of novelist Frédéric Dard.
Maison du Patrimoine (museum, information, tours) : Tel. +33 (0) 474 925992
Tourist bureau : Tel. +33 (0) 474 277383
City of painters and colour
La Maison de Pays (tourist information, exhibitions)
Tel. +33 (0) 474 803930
e-mail : email@example.com
Medieval city with a rich historical heritage stretching from the 12th century to the present day.
Tourist bureau: Tel. +33 (0) 474 904513